Friday, December 31, 2010

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

I teach high school English. Reading is my favorite. Every book or two I find a young adult novel to read. I'm trying to sift through it all to pick out some great books to introduce to my students. This week I read the National Book Award Winner for Young People's Literature from 2008 (I know, I'm behind).
It is a, you guessed it: coming of age novel. Not surprising when you're in the young adult section of the book store. Anyhow, I love the time period in which it takes place. The story is right after World War II ends. Evie's dad and the oh so handsome Peter Coleridge were both in the war. Of course, for fifteen year old Evie, a man who just returned from war is much too old. Peter Coleridge somehow turned into Robert Redford in my head. Not that I think Redford is that dreamy (I'm a Paul Newman fan myself), but maybe its because he played Jay Gatsby. He has that troubled, "find me irresistible" look about him. This is a fun, quick read. Like any good book, it has a surprising twist! Don't be put off by the fact that it is "young adult." We're all young adults until we want to become old, grumpy ones. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment