Tuesday, May 3, 2011

At Long Last....


...we finished the headboard!! I went back to find my first post about the headboard and it was in FEBRUARY! Soccer season has finally ended (the girls went to the state tournament...not to brag but they were third in state out of 238 teams). Poor Erik, the minute he finishes the season I've got him working on the headboard.  You can find the first part of the headboard building process here.


That leaves us at the wood frame. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the next couple steps. We added upholstery foam that was 1" thick and cut it down using a box cutter to our shape. Using wood glue, we attached it to the wooden headboard. Batting was next. Our upholstery foam wasn't all one sheet. To make it smooth once the fabric was on, we put batting over the foam and stapled it.
We were attempting to imitate the Raleigh headboard from Pottery Barn. I found the above fabric at Childress Fabric Outlet. I also needed nice, big nailheads (about an inch in diameter). Those are not so easy to find. I don't want to share where I found mine. That sounds rude, but the company I ordered mine from was all kinds of drama. It took over a month for them to arrive and numerous phone calls, e-mails, etc. So see? I'm trying to be polite by not ragging on them using their name ;)

On top of the upholestry foam and batting we put our fabric. Because of the camelback shape we were nervous about getting it smooth. We stapled in the following order: bottom middle, top middle, out to both corners of the bottom, out to just before the corners on the top, then finally the sides. For the corners we just tugged and pulled until we could get it in one fold. My father-in-law was absolutely sure we were going to screw this part up. : D



The headboard looked pretty awesome at that point. I LOVE nailhead though. We used a yardstick and pushed the nailhead a little bit in at each odd number inch.

Next I got to play with the mallet! Don't use a metal one or it'll damage your nailheads.
(um...the white stuff on the sides of my face are the "G" from my shirt...I thought I must have really big, pale cheeks when I first looked at this pic)



Look at that baby!!!
Erik and my father-in-law hung it on the wall using a French clip.

It's ready for its closeup!

This picture is kinda dark...but it was kinda dark when we got finished. The black ball of fur is my puppy Charlie.
Not too shabby for a knockoff, right? We could go into business if people didn't mind waiting an absolutely ridiculous amount of time to get their headboard.

5 comments:

  1. Came out fantastic. I did one of these a few months ago and I'm loving it. I love how you did the nailheads on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! You should totally submit this to be featured on the Knock Off Decor blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! How much fabric did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the posts about the DIY Raleigh bed! I was contemplating buying it, but knew it could be made for much, much cheaper! Where did you find your fabric, along with the nailheads? Any tips for the fabric? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete